Friday, March 21, 2008

Trying to track my bracket...

Ok, so its basketball time. Living in Kansas has made me pay more attention to my brackets than I did the years in school where we got extra credit for each round we picked the right teams...I know quality education...but it did get me an "A" in Algebra II! This guy's belief was "I get paid whether you learn or not!"

So as I'm filling out my bracket I started to ponder how NCAA basketball playoffs coincide with Easter...and further more there are a few religious schools on there. Coincidence? I think not! This made me ponder some very strange considerations so indulge my weird brain for a few minutes. I know why and how all those Catholic schools got to the playoffs, if you have ever been to Catholic school you know that there is a big push to get into sports! Hell for a long time in church we were praying to the Father, the Son, and the Holy Lou Holtz! Praise to God the Fath'r, His Son Jaysus, and of course the blessed Fightin' Irish. And you will also know that there are always sign ups for CYA sports right after mass! But, how does Oral Roberts justify a basketball team? Is the thought here that Jesus wasn't merely leading the Apostles but rather their team captain? I mean think about it 11 plus Jesus (and before anyone writes to me...it could be counted as 12 if you count Paul...maybe he's just the coach or the water boy?) That sounds like a team to me?! So Jesus wasn't merely having brilliant talks with the Apostles he was coming up with plays, strategies, a better defense. Think about it! It could be true!

So getting back to the whole Oral Roberts thing. I would think that this competitive basketball "stuff" would get into the way of the praying and being repentant. And if they have accepted Jesus as their Lord and Savior why haven't they won the whole shebang? I look at the stats and I'm starting to think maybe you need to take part in a few sins to get in to that final bracket! I mean, Kentucky has 7 titles and their main industries are tobacco and whiskey! UCLA notoriously known as a party school and let's not forget my fave in the 90's UNLV!...umm...sin city?! I also noticed that while the Irish have never won a title in basketball they have other schools there helping them out Holy Cross, Loyola...

I know that there are a lot of women would probably be looking at the teams picking based on uniform color or how cute the mascot is, I for one will be looking to see which team would kick the others ass in a bar fight. You can take the girl out of Butte, but you can't take the Butte out of the girl...and if you tried to...back to the Butte motto...I'd kick your ass! :)

1 comment:

Tammy said...

Ok, I am hacked because the first time I attempted to leave comments I typed a big elaborate paragraph and then as I attempted to log a Google ID for myself my words evaporated into cyberspace! ARGH

So, finally one that didn't make me cry! Did I ever tell you that the first college I decided to go to was ORU? Don't judge me too quickly! I was only like 5 at the time. I lived right on the AR/OK line, in close proximity to ORU and our family watched him on TV. I went to the campus and was awed by it's beauty. Oral was very charasmatic. His evanevangelist quest touched me, I believed at the time that he was in fact obeying God’s mandate! My how times have changed. Can you imagine me at a Christian University, and a "charasmatic" one at that? Nah I didn't think so.