Sunday, March 16, 2008

Trying to read all the good books that I can...

For the last 6 years I have kept a journal of the books that I read. I don't know if I do this as a way of seeing how much I read or rather that I am short term memory chick and can't remember if I've read certain books or not and can always check my list. I always have friends ask about books and if I've read a certain book or not. This was a way for me to keep it on file. So the other day I had a friend ask me if I could give her my list so I have now posted it. It was fun looking back at the different titles that I've read. With some I could remember where I was when I was reading it (usually in Montana!) I am a complete no-nonsense reader. I will read just about anything and I have a few authors that when I need a good escape, I lean on (Janet Evanovich, Jane Green, Luanne Rice, Kristen Hannah, and though I am hesitant to admit my true guilty pleasure and you'll see her on my list...a lot in fact...Danielle Steel)

I love to read! I love books! And even though I love good stories I am not a book snob. I don't grab things to read based solely on what Oprah (or anyone for that matter) had to say about it (the books that I've read on Oprah's list almost make me feel as though I need Prozac!) I read as an escape, for a laugh, for something that will touch my heart, make me believe in passion, romance, intelligence, good triumphing over evil etc.
I read because I want to be the lawyer, bounty hunter, 5'9" intelligent beauty, hell even the princess. I want to marry Ranger 1/2 the time and Morelli the other 1/2. I would date the Weasley twins and play drinking games with Dumbledore. I've hung out with fun, young, hip chicks that struggle with jobs, love, men and parenting. I've visited different cities, countries, continents and centuries.

I've finally found a way to read good books or rather I've finally grown up enough that I can pitch a book if I don't get into it. Nancy Pearl had a great formula for this and I live by it. 100 - (your age) = the number of pages to give a book before you give up on it. Probably the best formula I've ever learned and definitely the only one beyond H20 that I've remembered. Take this advice! There are way too many good books to waste time on the bad ones.

No comments: